I think the first step to responding to any of the four types of misbehavior is identifying the behavior type and getting to know the student better. For some of my students, I can't really tell which type of misbehavior is going on with them and I hope that by talking to them, observing them in different environments (on the playground, at lunch) and meeting with their parents will help me figure out where their misbehavior is coming from.
It seems like the best way to address the attention-getting types is to talk with them about the rules and consequences one-on-one, maybe at the beginning of the day and try to establish a mini-behavior contract with them. That way, they understand in advance what their interruptions are going to cost them but by talking it over with them in private every day, you don't have to constantly be giving them more attention than they deserve. I could could establish a nonverbal signal or look with these students and make sure that when they misbehave I simply tell them to move their clip down without turning it into a giant argument in front of the class. I also can make sure I am giving the student plenty of good attention, when their behavior is good and by calling on them just as much as the other students as a way of letting them know that I do recognize their presence and contributions to the classroom.
Dealing with the students needing control seems easier--if they have responsibilities at home and can't handle not being the one in control at school, I should give these students regular jobs in the classroom so that they can feel needed and take responsibility for something. Right now, my classroom job system is a little random and disorganized and I should probably mix it up so that the same students aren't always doing the jobs around the classroom and everyone has responsibility for something, no matter how small. Also, I think phrasing behavior modifications as choices to these students could be effective by making the student think that they have some power in deciding what to do.
I laughed a little to myself when I read the paragraph about bored students... "they may also randomly hit a classmate simply because they cannot think of anything better to do, or because they would like to inject a little excitement into their day." By improving my delivery and always using a variety of instructional techniques and checks for understanding, I can ensure that students are engaged and always ready to provide an answer. I use my name sticks almost every time I call on students, and I hope that this keeps most of them on the ball. By moving around the room, using pair-shares or keeping my students moving from carpet to desks to independent time to wander the room will hopefully help activate the minds of these bored students.
The fourth behavior type seems the most difficult to deal with. I definitely have some students who feel that they just can't do LEARN position all the time, as well as students who feel academically inadequate and just don't know how to measure up. I need to make sure to constantly remind these students of their capability by praising them when they demonstrate the right behavior and not constantly point out the individual when they don't get it right. I have one table group in my morning class that can never get their materials out or put away at the same time as the rest of the class-- it's like they're on a different planet and they only follow when the rest of the class is already ready and they finally notice when they're behind. A couple of days this week I've wandered over to their table and said something like, "What's going on here? Every time I tell you to put something away you guys are always the last to follow my directions!" I think my comments like these are only reinforcing the fact that they can't stay on task with the rest of the class. I should instead make sure to repeat the directions one time just for this table, and let them know that I think they can be the first table to put away their stuff and prove me wrong. I have another student that definitely falls into the "class clown rather than the class dummy" category. I didn't even notice how far behind he was until I saw the behavior reflection I made him write for me when he got to red--the lowest level on the behavior chart. I had been focusing so much on his behavior I didn't realize that his writing was at the level of a first grader. I need to set higher expectations for his behavior and give him the academic support he needs so he feels like he doesn't have to act out just to avoid the fact that he can't do the work.
No matter what the behavior type, I feel like the home visits are really helping me get to the bottom of my students' unique behavior challenges. I learned that one of my students who always gives me attitude has been treated for ADHD in the past but is now off his medication. He's switched to a new school and even though his focus is better than before, he is still frustrated often. Learning about students' families and their siblings is also extremely helpful in figuring out what kind of behavior modification they'll respond to and how they deal with authority. It seems daunting right now, but I hope that I can try to apply the things that I've written about this week to improve my classes' behavior overall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hi Claire, every time I read your blog I just sit and nod my head. It seems like we are experiencing a lot of the same issues. One thing I really agree with is the value of the home visits. I visited one of my ELL student's homes today and I knew that he was ELL but I didn't understand how serious the situation was. He was gone all week for health issues and getting to "talk" (my broken spanish) to his mom today was amazing. He is disruptive in my class and I thought it was just because he felt like being a jerk but today I realized it was because he really knows very, very little english. He has no idea what I am saying to him most of the time, it turns out. I totally thought he was just ignoring me or blatantly disobeying me. His mom told me today that he transferred from another elementary where he only go one hour of english spoken to him on a daily basis. How amazing are the home visits?! At first I was annoyed and thought oh yes, if 13 hours a day isn't bad enough let me work for 10 more hours on the weekend...but they have turned out to be fun and VERY helpful! I think as we become more familiar with our students and their families that this whole process will become easier. Good luck!
Claire, you had many great ideas!!! I really like your solution for the "attention-getting" students. I've been looking for ways to deal with this and talking to them before class is a great idea. I may not have time to do this everytime, but I want to give this a shot. I'm just not sure what kinds of consequences to give them. Let me know what you think. Keep up the great work!!!
Hey Claire it's me again Chrisel I didn't want to confuse you with my display name and all. I've changed it many times. It was Chris (but Chris Lester also went by this)so I changed it to christ (I forgot to space the T ahahaha) so I think I fixed it now and hopefully my comments will show up as Chris T :)
Claire, I agree that this will be a process by which you will be able to really get to know your students and their behavior issues. Home visits are a really big help in learning a lot about your students and their home life. Keep a good line of communication open with the parents or guardians to help you be aware and understand any other private family issues that might come up. THese visits really open the door for a lot of understanding. These children can come to us with a lot of baggage and once we step inside of their world, we can put things into perspective and try to deal with their particular behavior issue appropriately.
I appreciate your transparency in recognizing the assumptions that stop us from being able to truly help our students succeed. It's hard in the midst of the chaos that teaching can be to be thoughtful about the different reasons students could be acting certain ways... but so, so important.
Claire, I loved what you wrote about trying to empower students who think they can't handle the LEARN position or already feel academically inadequate. I don't have quite as much of an issue with my kids in terms of that, but I definitely feel the energy drop from some kids who don't feel as "smart" especially during assessment activities.
You have great ideas for the attention-needy students and I'm sure they're going to work out well! Let me know!
Hi Claire, I want to honor and appreciate the fact that you are committing to home visits as a part of your practice. Reading that here made me realize how important it is to strive to understand who our students are in the multiple facets of their lives. I have discovered with my 7th graders that they often morph into completely different people in the presence of a family. Seeing these changing dynamics reminds me of the breadth of students' personalities and how essential it is that we appeal to the different, changing parts of young people as we continue our instruction. I appreciate the bravery and dedication you show, Claire, by taking on home visits. You have opened up my eyes to another method for better understanding my students and their needs.
So much comes down to knowing your students and building those relationships...keep working on it! Misbehavior is usually the result of genuine needs not being met...whether it's a need for control, attention, etc., and the relationships you're working on building will help you to figure out how to address these needs!
Post a Comment