I learned how to read at home when I was about three or four years old. I don't really remember much about the process of learning to read, but I remember that my older sister knew how to read and I wanted to be just like her. She, as well as my parents, showed me that reading was something fun and valuable and with their help, I was reading with ease-- or at least I don't remember it being too difficult.
The moments I remember most about reading all take place in elementary school. In the early years when I still attended public school, I was put in advanced reading classes. I didn’t really understand why, but I had more fun doing projects like writing my own Amelia Bedelia book than I did learning to write the letters with kids my own age. Still, my clearest memories from these years are my mistakes. Once, I was asked to read a list of words by my reading tutor, and I remember pronouncing the h in the word “heir.” As soon as I said it, I knew something was wrong, and I felt ashamed.
In third grade, I had to write weekly reading journals (just as I am attempting with my students now), and I consistently received mediocre comments on them week after week. Then, I started reading the Redwall series by Brian Jaques. My first journal after I started reading Mossflower, one of the first in the series, was praised by my teacher. I will always remember re-reading that journal entry and his comments, pleased with my success after struggling for so many weeks. I loved those books so much that I would spend my time on the playground acting out elaborate battle scenes between the mice and the rats.
In middle school I discovered short stories and was amazed by their ability to encapsulate a complicated message in so few words. In high school, I developed a love for Shakespeare. After struggling through Twelfth Night in eighth grade, I was delighted and amazed freshman year that I could actually understand A Midsummer Night’s Dream—especially the wit and the lewd jokes that were encoded by the confusing English. Through college, I have enjoyed reading and watching performances of several Shakespeare plays.
Upon reflecting about my experience as a reader over time, however, I think I've gotten lazier and challenge myself less than I did when I was a kid. Even in middle school and high school, I read flimsy teen fiction when I could have chosen something more substantial. In college, I read very little outside of my classes and found it hard to finish more than 3 or 4 recreational reads per year. It makes me sad when I realize that I may not be practicing what I preach when I tell my students to read at home every night. Of course, they don't have lesson plans to write, but maybe if I made a little more time for my own reading, I would better be able to share with my students how important it is.
The one book that has always been my favorite since I read it in high school is Gone With the Wind. I devoured it on a trip to China, but even while I was surrounded by fascinating new sights, I couldn’t leave Scarlett behind for one moment. Her character, alone, made the book real to me, and I know I cried more than once over her plight. It was this book that made me realize that what makes a literary experience meaningful is the passion I derive from it. The books I have read that are the most memorable to me are the ones that evoked strong emotion in me, whether it be joy or pity or awe. To become the teacher I want to be--one who instills passion for learning in her students--I need to recapture this feeling of passion in my own reading and communicate it to my students so that they can find that one book that they absolutely love. I want all of them to find their Mossflower, a book that makes them want to read and write and act and talk about it, and I want to find my next Gone With The Wind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm so with you on the "Practice What You Preach" thing. Here we are telling them that they should be reading at home, on the weekends, etc... and I'm definitely not doing the same thing. I wonder if, maybe during silent reading time, I should bring in my own book and read while they read? I think it might be helpful 'modeling' of how readers look, etc but would also show them that I really do care about literacy.
It's interesting to me that you, Andrea and I were all reading early... and now we're in a position where we need to help kids who are still really struggling with the 'big concepts' of literacy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. The tables have turned right? Initially, I think this was part of why I was so worried about how to help them. Now, I feel like I'm learning how to give them the specialized instruction that they need... but it has definitely taken some time to figure out what that is.
It was really interesting to hear about your experience learning to read as well. I know we had discussed this some at the Reach retreat too, and it made me think back to that conversation (and our big 'Life Maps'). I'm definitely looking forward to this unit.
Claire,
I loved reading your blog and Kate's blog about reading. It seems we all had very similar experiences and I totally agree we should find our next "Gone with the Wind". I am really enjoying The Bell Jar right now and I find it quite comical that it is about a girl who can't figure out exactly what she is doing with her life in/after college and slowly starts to spiral into insanity...perhaps a direct correlation to my life? :) I hope not.
When you were younger were you as annoyed as I was during reading time? I was so frustrated all the time because I had to listen to the "slow" readers read when it took everything inside of me to not shout out the answers or sound out the words for them. I really hope my high readers are not feeling this stress as much as I did, but I'm sure they are.
Thanks for the blog, it was great to read about your reading journey!
Hi Claire!
Yay for Redwall! I LOVED those books as a kid. Mom used to read them to me and my brother; I remember her struggling to decode the moles' dialect at first, but once she got the hang of it we used to love the funny accents she gave them. Such wonderful stories -- I hope to share them with children of my own someday.
I sympathize with you about the "not challenging yourself" thing. My recreational reading diminished greatly during grad school; when I did read for pleasure, I stuck to a few favorite authors like Jim Butcher and Kim Harrison. Entertaining books, but not exactly challenging from a literary standpoint. I've found that my Audible subscription has helped a lot in getting me to consume more books; I may not be READING reading, but I'm still absorbing prose, and I think that counts for something. It's a lot easier to find spare time for my ears than for my eyes -- though that's changing a bit now that I ride the BART to work.
My latest book that I'm tackling in dead-tree form is Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love." Enjoying it so far, but it's definitely written on a higher level than most novels nowadays -- both in terms of language used and in the deeper issues discussed. It's making for an interesting experience...
Cheers,
Chris
Hi Claire! It's interesting to hear when you would get excited about reading and when you wouldn't. I felt a similar experience when I reflected on my history as a reader as well. It seems like it is important to find curriculum that is relevant to our student's lives...so that they, too can find their Gone with the Wind book. I hope that there are still books out there that are interesting and capturing to our youth today, so that when they do enjoy to read, they can learn to appreciate some of the classics that we grew up with. It's great to read how this reflection of yourself will help you try and help your students find their passion for reading.
Post a Comment