Sunday, November 23, 2008

105 Pre-Assessment: "How People Learn"

Creativity is a central source of meaning in our lives... most of the things that are interesting, important, and human are the results of creativity... [and] when we are involved in it, we feel that we are living more fully than during the rest of life. (Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention)

This quote came directly from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, a psychologist who coined the term "flow," which he described as the optimal learning state: "...flow--the state in which people are so involved in an activity that nothing else seems to matter; the experience itself is so enjoyable that people will do it even at great cost, for the sheer sake of doing it." (Csikszentmihalyi, 1991) When and where in your life have you experienced learning experiences or activities like this, where you were so absorbed in what you were doing, you needed no extrinsic motivation to continue? When do you feel the most alive and interested in what you are doing?

I clearly remember feeling the "flow" and being totally engaged in learning when working on a paper for a history class at Stanford. For this final essay on 19th-century America, we had to choose one topic from Stanford's history and relate it back to the themes of the course. We were allowed to use documents from the Stanford archives as research. Out of all the classes I enjoyed and all the papers that I wrote without a struggle, this was by far the best project. I would spend hours at special collections browsing hand-written notes dating back to the turn of the 20th century. I searched for other sources of information, including the physical artifacts on campus. The paper itself was fun and easy to write--even though I undoubtedly procrastinated until the last minute. I felt passionate about the topic and the history of my alma mater that it wasn't a chore. The words came easily because of everything I had already soaked in throughout the class and my time at Stanford. On a whim, I even submitted the essay to a historical society contest, knowing full well that I wouldn't win, just because I had enjoyed writng it so much and I really took pride in that piece of writing.

I think this assignment engaged me for many reasons. First, it was an open-ended assignment that allowed me to choose from several different topics and viewpoints on the themes of the class. Second, I was able to interact directly with the materials I was researching and writing about, through archival documents as well as the buildings and stories I saw and heard around campus. Third, this essay really connected to my passion for American history on a personal level and my reasons for becoming an American Studies major in the first place-- I love to learn about the personal stories that represent the making of history in our nation's past. It is the combination of this flexibility, direct contact with the subject matter, and pure passion for the subject that allowed me to work relentlessly, motivated by the pure desire to learn and to enjoy the project. There were several other essays in my American Studies courses that sparked similar reactions, but this one in particular stands out. It is one of the few pieces of writing from my college career that I like to go back and read from time to time just to remember how much I enjoyed the assignment and the quality of work that I am capable of.

Of course, reflecting on this essay also makes me think about my students and what I can do for them to encourage the "flow" or the optimal learning state. I want them to be motivated by their sheer enjoyment of a project while putting forth their best effort at the same time. I want my students to produce high-quality results because they were pushing themselves harder with materials they cared about. I don't know exactly how to translate my experiences in college to my classroom, but I do know that the open-ended aspect of this project as well as having the opportunity to interact with history allowed this assignment to be so enjoyable to me. After exhibition night when I was pushing my students to finish their projects just so that they wouldn't embarrass themselves and me during their presentations, I now want to teach a UbD unit that doesn't get to that point. How amazing would it be if my students, without consciously realizing it, could "feel that they are living more fully than during the rest of life."

2 comments:

Kate said...

Claire,
It seems like we both agree that that hands-on stuff can be the most memorable, or when learning is most enjoyable. I felt the same way as you did when I was working in the archives in DC on my Holocaust research... it was a total different feeling actually handling historical documents, as compared to just looking them up online. Definitely enriched the experience.

I also question how I can translate my love of learning into a format that works for my students as well... how can I get them as engaged in a project as I am. So far, I've seen some of that going on with reading and my more advanced students, but my lower students are often way more apathetic than I'd like when given a task to do. I guess it probably comes down to breaking assignments into pieces thare are more manageable for them. I'm looking forward to more engagement in this area too!

Kate said...

Regarding your comment on how to engage them in the UbD topics, I think it came pretty naturally for my students on the rainforest, like it did with your students and the animal adaptations unit. I definitely share the same concern as you though-- that one seemed to be something they were just more inclined to be interested in. Our next units are Weather and States of Matter. I could see them being interested in the weather unit, but I think States of Matter will be more of a stretch for them. I'm thinking that I'll do an 'opening day' overview where I give them a peek into all of the exciting things that we'll do in the unit- I guess a 'hook' for them. I'll also be upfront with the standards, and all the fun new things they will understand by the end of the unit. I'd be interested in your ideas too-- I know the weather unit is something I'm somewhat looking forward to, but I'm not looking forward to states of matter at all, so I feel like I need to psych myself up and really perfect my unit plan so it's something I'll enjoy teaching too.