Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mastery

I expected this book to be just another nebulous self-help book full of cliched references to Eastern philosophy and a lot of aikido talk that I didn't understand. I was pleasantly surprised, however,that the concept of mastery was applied to many examples in the book and can be applied to any skill or process in life. I didn’t want to read about how mastery helped George Leonard become a black belt in aikido, because that has little relevance to me. But when he showed how mastery can be used in all professions, in physical endeavors, in personal relationships, I could see myself putting the process of mastery into my own life and the challenges I have attempted. I know I was a dabbler when I tried to learn how to play the drums and gave up after it got too complicated. I see that I am at a long plateau in my triathlon training and am at risk for becoming a hacker. Most importantly, I can see how the concepts laid out in Mastery are crucial to my journey as a first-year teacher. Learning and adopting the knowledge and techniques of an excellent teacher will not come easily to me. I will encounter moments of clarity, where I finally grasp key concepts in teaching. However, most of my time will be spent at plateaus, where I must continue to work and practice with utmost patience regardless of the setbacks.

The idea that most clearly stuck with me from Mastery is the story of the white belt. This passage at the end of the book not only reminded me that teaching requires humility at all times, but also that I need to be willing to make mistakes and ask for help at any point in the year. The white belt symbolizes the beginner, someone who has lots to learn but is not afraid to admit to that. I want to be “willing to play the fool” by constantly drawing upon the resources I have—my fellow teachers, my Reach coaches, my PD, my students’ parents—so that I will always be aware of how much I have to learn. These people will undoubtedly give me the support I need, but I have to ask in order to receive. I can’t let myself get discouraged with the mistakes I will inevitably make, the lessons that might go wrong, the times I may say the wrong thing to a student or a parent. These moments are all part of being a beginner, and once I recognize that I can truly begin my journey.

No comments: