There wasn't much about the safety presentation that surprised me. Although most of these types of materials have been developed after I used the internet as a young student, now I feel that media is full of stories, information, and warnings about cyberbullying, “sexting,” internet gambling, etc. It has infiltrated our popular culture enough that popular television shows (especially those aimed at young adults) are incorporating plots that revolve around these issues. After watching the internet safety presentation and taking note of the types of technology my students use, I don't think that many of my students are aware of the risks of spending so much time interacting with others through technology, but I also think that because my students will grow up surrounded by technology, they’ll pick up the savvy they need to avoid these dangers as long as they have common sense. I don’t know how to communicate the importance of internet safety or ways to stay safe when using technology. One on hand, I don’t know how much of this is my responsibility. On the other hand, if we do access technology in class, I should take the time to review tips and risks (e.g., when searching for a YouTube video for science class).
2. What technology do both you and your students have available? BE SPECIFIC! What challenges do you and your students face in regards to technology as a tool for educational equity?
My students use a lot of video game technology. They’re constantly discussing their newest game system or favorite games, and their survey responses named more video game technology than I’ve heard of. My students wrote about game consoles (PlayStation, Wii, Xbox, etc) as well as handheld game consoles (Nintendo DSI, PSP, etc). I know that some of my students have computers and internet access at home that they mostly use for games (Club Penguin) or watching music videos or video clips (YouTube). Some of my students have iPods or other personal mp3 players—although I was still surprised when I heard music coming out of one of my student’s backpacks in class! I have access to my work laptop through which I use tfanet (the Teach for
3. What kinds of technology do you currently use in your class? Looking at the kinds of technology you and your students have available, are there any areas available that you have not yet thought about as a tool for learning?
In class, I use the computer to show DVDs and video clips to my students about once a week. I’ve used Schoolhouse Rock, educational websites, and YouTube to find videos relevant to lessons and use my laptop to show the videos to the entire class. I also use the internet weekly to gather more information on a subject. If I’m teaching a lesson on the life cycle of the salmon, for example, I may have a website open (educational website or Wikipedia) to reference in case students have questions I can’t answer or I need further clarification on a topic. I download songs and videos from iTunes to supplement my lessons. I find materials such as worksheets, assessments, and guided reading books on teaching websites including TFAnet, BrainPop, and Reading A-Z that make lesson planning much easier. Many of my students use YouTube and search engines to find information about topics we are studying in class (science and social studies in particular). I would love to teach my students how to search for topics on the internet or at least print out top web searches for students to explore as extra enrichment. I wish that my students would also learn how to type so that they could write final draft papers on the computer. I would really like to teach my students to use my own laptop under light supervision in class to do these things so that they can become more independent in using technology in an academic setting.
No comments:
Post a Comment